Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Week 8 EOC: The Importance of the Producer


According to the book “A producer supervises and controls the film project.”  This has been true on all the sets I have worked on so far.  Small or large budget, the producer tends to over see “cast and crew to overseeing the technical, logistical, and financial aspects of the production.”  They are constantly keeping track of all the paperwork and daily production.

When referring to small films, the producer may play a much greater roll.  They may end up dealing with more creative contributions with the script.  The producer and director will often sit down and work collaboratively so many issues with script and filming can be worked out.  They may be responsible for location scouting.  They may be responsible networking and advertising.  They may even play the roll as an executive producer, and front cash for the production. 

On sets I have been on, I have often produced.  The work I would be responsible for would range from networking, finding sponsors, paperwork, storyboards, script writing and script breakdowns, equipment list, hiring crew and actors, etc.  I have taken a load of responsibility for each production I have made due to the lack of additional support.  This can hurt a production unless I take the time, which just makes things take longer than it should.  In the event I ever find a proper executive producer, I would be dumbing down my responsibilities and focusing more on my preparations and Directing.  Eventually, I’d like to co-produce, handling more of the conceptual development, and stick with the directing of everything I work on.  Assuming of course I am not camera guy on another persons’ set.

-Quotes from “The Pocket Lawyer for Filmmakers”

No comments:

Post a Comment