Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Week 5 - Photo Challenge of the Week: Directors Chair Photoshop


First, I took a picture of myself and made sure the face was clearly shown.  Higher the resolution the better.  I decided to use a past picture of myself from the CES convention since it was a bit more clear than the ones I had readily available. 

Second, I opened up Photoshop.  I imported two pictures.  The one from CES, and the second picture is the one I am photoshopping my face into.  The picture is kind of low resolution, but it will suffice. 

Third, I took the CES photo and cut out my face.  I used the polygon lasso tool and went around the shape of my head.  I then copied what was selected and pasted on a separate layer.  This enables me to edit just the face and adjust it at will without changing the background. 

Fourth, I sized it and fitted it into the hat.  Made sure I was in the correct position for the facial replacement and kept a good size.  I then used the lasso tool, again, to create the shape of the hat.  Make sure you are in the layer with the hat, not the face.  I cut out a shape of the hat with the tool and then clicked back to the face tool, then clicked "Delete."  This cut out the shape of the hat out of the face.  Not a perfect fit, but then again the face isn't looking the direction it is supposed to. 

NOTE:  You may or may not need to do this, but I had to take the selection from step four and feather it by going to Select > Modify > Feather > 2 pixels.  This helped soften the edges so it more naturally blended into the hat.  With a good cut, you may not need to do this.  Once feathered, then delete. 

Fifth, this step is color correction.  The first thing I did was change the exposure.  I actually increased it by quite a bit.  The reason is simple, the picture I was setting it to was quite exposed and much brighter than the picture my face came from.  I then toned it a bit by messing with the curves.  Made the darks a bit darker, little more contrasty.  Slight touch up in the saturation to make it a bit grayer and I finished it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment