Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Week 1 EOC: Photo Challenge; Film Festival

Video Click Here


I created this project using xtranormal.  The webpage was introduced to me by my teacher, requesting each student to make a short 1 minute film that we could consider our own.  I decided to do a short skit on a phone call I experienced during my time working at an Internet Service Provider (ISP).  I always considered that work to be unnecessarily stressful and very upsetting.  I often go frustrated (not showing emotion over the phone to the customer, of course) and had to vent my rage by complaining or writing about my complaints.  Secretly, I had it in my mind I would one day make a comic about all these experiences I had since I had a .txt file that was almost a full MB in size of nothing but notes and conversational recordings.  No audio at all. 

This story follows myself as I try to explain to a woman her email problems.  The entire tech support follows like this:  She emailed friends and got a bounce back message claiming something, she couldn’t tell me what that error was so she had to click on a link I sent her, fill out a very short form that should take no longer than 20 seconds, and that is it.  Nothing else will need to be done on her end.  What you don’t see in this short film is the call lasting almost 30 full minutes, of almost the same exact conversation from here.  I do not know if the woman suffered from some kind of mental problem, or if she was playing a game, all I know is that this was one of the most remember able conversations I had working at the company.  At the time I wasn’t laughing, but when I stepped back to think about what happened, I realized it was a comical modern day recreation of “Who’s On First” by Abbott and Costello.  

© Robert Haney 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment